For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Swish

Ephesians 4:15-16
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

A young man dressed in silky shorts and a sleeveless shirt runs up the floor dribbling a basketball. With a toss, he passes the orb to a teammate. In a flash of the hand, the ball swishes through the hoop. The crowd cheers. Welcome to March madness!

I’m trying to imagine what kind of a team Jesus’ apostles might have made. Thomas would question his teammates moves, Peter might change his mind in the middle of a pass. The Sons of Thunder would need to keep their tempers in check, and Judas might score one for the other team. I know it is kind of ridiculous to think about Jesus followers playing basketball. But, every day I am asked to be part of Jesus’ team. He is my coach, and I have a vast number of teammates. Like the basketball players who practice and work to learn plays, I need to exercise my spiritual muscles by reading the Bible and praying. Sometimes I need to pass off to another player by asking for prayer and help. Jesus planned for his followers to work together.

Praise God for those who stepped up to help the recent tornado victims. I’ve seen and heard of many churches reaching out to the local need. Continue to pray for the folks who lost so much and seek ways to help where you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment