For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Rooted in Him!

Colossians 2:6-7
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him,
 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

I stepped onto a smooth, paved path as I walked around the lake at Look Up Lodge. Without concern about stumbling or falling, I gazed at the beauty of spring. A blue heron sailed across the lake, white dogwood trees waved among the fresh green leaves. A few early butterflies joined me on my journey. Then about a fourth of the way around, the pavement stopped and I found myself stepping over roots on a well-worn dirt path. A bit more cautious, I took my time and avoided the ones that might trip me up. I picked my way along the rough terrain, until I found straight, even pavement at the end of the trail.

The roots made me think about how often the devil lays a stumbling block in my path. I may be walking along, fine and dandy, and he rolls out in front of me like a snake and tries to trip me up. Paul reminded the Colossian church to live their lives in Jesus and be rooted in him so that they might not slip into Satan’s snares. Being in his word and praying fertilizes the roots that are planted in Jesus. Those roots strengthen my faith. I am thankful that God guides me on my path!

No comments:

Post a Comment