For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Name

Psalm 147:3-5
He heals the brokenhearted 
   and binds up their wounds. 
He determines the number of the stars 
   and calls them each by name. 
Great is our Lord and mighty in power; 
   his understanding has no limit.

My grandson, Eli, has been trying out a variety of names for me. Over the last few months he has called me Babaw, the name my granddaughter, Dylan, and her brother, Zeke, call me.  A few times he’s called me grandma or mama. Last night he looked at me and said “Hi, Grammy Penny.” That name rolled off his tongue like sweet sugar. Whatever my grandkids call me pleases me, because they say my name with love.

As much as my grandchildren love me, my heavenly Father loves me so much more. I cannot begin to comprehend how much God cares for me. When I read in the Psalm that he knows every star by name, I am astounded. So many twinkling lights, and he knows every one of them. When I am out and about and see all of the people that I do not know and think about the huge population of the world, I wonder how God keeps track of everyone. But, he does. He knows and calls me by name. He hears me when I pray and recognizes my voice. Praise God for his love and his desire to know me by name.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Penny, my grandkids call me Mimi, but I agree that we answer to whatever they call us with love! Enjoyed visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Penny! So glad you've joined ACFW and hope your writing journey will continue to be blessed. I'm also happy I've found your blog--this was a wonderful post. ~ Although I don't have any grandkiddos (yet!) I'm looking forward to that adventure if the Lord allows (I've heard being a grandparent is the BEST!). I hope your day (and week) will be filled with blessings--here in Georgia we are having a gorgeous day! ~ Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all. I love being a grandma and think it is the BEST! I learn something from my children and grandchildren every time I'm with them. Hope you keep reading-I post once a week.

    ReplyDelete