For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Whoosh!

Jude 1:20-22
But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

Tim and I recently attended a high school basketball game. One player, #22, caught my attention. He handled the ball as if it were an extension of his hand. I sensed that he was probably the kid who lived under the basketball hoop at home and in the gym. His fluid shots whooshed the ball through the net.

The whoosh of the basketball, the crack of the bat, the tennis ball that barely smacks the edge of in-bounds gives the athlete the feeling of connectedness to their sport. That’s the bond God wants me to experience with prayer. That I am so united to the Holy Spirit that my requests flow right to God. Number 22 achieved his perfect shot through practice, going there again and again. The same is true of my prayer life. I must go to God everyday and seek his help, advice, love, and all he has to give. He welcomes my conversations 24/7. Praise God for his Holy Spirit who carries my prayers to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment