For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, February 17, 2012

The Heron of Hope

Psalm 31:23-24
Love the LORD, all his faithful people! 

   The LORD preserves those who are true to him, 
   but the proud he pays back in full. 
Be strong and take heart, 
   all you who hope in the LORD.

One warm February evening my husband and I walked our dogs around the local lake. The yellow and brown overgrown grass gave way to the green sprouts of spring. Water on the lake sat still with no wind to blow against the surface. Olive trotted beside me as we made our way around the edge of the paved lot. Close to the water I heard a rustling sound. When I looked up a great blue heron flew up and over the length of the lake. He raised his body in a majestic fashion and soared into the sky. What a beautiful sight!

Experiencing an encounter with one of God’s beautiful creatures fills me with hope. As the bird spread his wings, he looked like he was reaching up toward his creator. When he sailed over the water, I thought he might just fly into God’s open arms. When I am stressed or feeling down I like to picture God’s arms outstretched ready to embrace me. And, I think about Jesus arms stretched out on the cross. He gave me the ultimate hope. I want to see the heron again sometime, but more than that, I look forward to the day I meet Jesus in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment