For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fire!

Daniel 3:16-18
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us
from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

When King Nebuchadnezzar installed a 90 feet tall golden image in the middle of his city, he expected every person in his kingdom to fall to their knees and worship. But three young men said no. They defied the king and refused to worship anyone or anything but the God who created them. He threw them into a fiery furnace, clothing and all and they survived. When the king looked into the furnace he saw them walking around and speaking to a fourth person, no doubt God. I’m sure his mouth dropped open and he said, “What on earth?” Immediately, he commanded the men to come to him and they stood before him without even a singed eyebrow hair or a fiery furnace smell. King Nebuchandnezzar fell to his knees and worshipped the one true God.

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego embraced their faith. They knew that God had their back and that he promised to go with them through the fire. This week I prayed for God’s guidance and his reassurance that I was on the right path. When I opened my Bible to the book of Daniel, he reminded me of the faith of three young men and how he walked with them in the fire and carried them out unharmed. God is with me, no matter what I go through. When life takes me through the fire, I trust him to protect and guide me. Praise God that he keeps his promises! 

No comments:

Post a Comment