For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Icing on the Rolls

2 Timothy 3:14-17
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God
may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

One evening as I worked at my computer, I heard the sound of crinkling plastic. I thought maybe one of the dogs was playing with something they found on the floor. The noise continued for a few minutes longer than I thought it should. When I walked into our extra bedroom to investigate, I found our daschund/corgi Olive looking mighty guilty. For Christmas, Maggie made cinnamon rolls with a package of butter cream icing for Tim. With all the rolls eaten, I threw away the bit of left over icing. Dear little Olive, who craves food, sniffed out the sweet confection and helped herself to the leftovers.

Before we adopted her, Olive was abandoned with several pups to feed so she learned that she had to scavenge to stay alive. Her natural instinct was to dig in and find whatever she could to survive. I want that attitude when it comes to reading my Bible, that incessant craving in order to survive. I see the Bible as a precious gift that I am fortunate to have. I can read Jesus’ own words and letters from the people who walked with him. And I love the Old Testament stories that teach me so much about life. His book is filled with incredible stories, amazing wisdom, and the path to salvation. He leads with his word. Praise God for the scripture!

No comments:

Post a Comment