For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, February 26, 2011

I See the Moon

Psalm 8:3-4
When I consider your heavens,
   the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
   which you have set in place,
what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
   human beings that you care for them?

When my children sat with me on the porch swing in the evening, I sometimes sang this little tune: I see the moon, and the moon sees me. God bless the moon, and God bless me. I also sing it to my grandchildren when I have the chance. As the sun and moon dance around each other, I enjoy the moon’s different phases, especially the full moon and the fingernail moon (crescent moon).

God created the moon and the stars so that light would shine on us. He loves us and cares for us. As a sovereign God, he knows what is best for us and what will harm us. He is not a puppeteer who makes us dance on strings like marionettes; instead he gives us the choice to follow his lead. Like the moon, I go through different phases in my life. I much prefer the phase of living my life in full recognition and obedience to God. It frustrates to be like the fingernail moon and only give God a sliver of my heart.

I love that he thinks about us, that we are on his mind. I praise God for his caring heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment