For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, February 11, 2011

Reach Out

Luke 9:10-11

When the apostles returned, they reported to Jesus what they had done. Then he took them with him and they withdrew by themselves to a town called Bethsaida, but the crowds learned about it and followed him. He welcomed them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God, and healed those who needed healing.

Last week, I caught a cold and felt poorly enough to miss a day of work. By the weekend I felt better, but not great. This week I came home from work on Tuesday with a fever of 102.3. Tim took me to Urgent Care and the doctor told me I had a virus and that he could not help me. “Go home and take Ibuprofen and plenty of fluids and rest,” he said. So I did. Lying in bed with a high fever, chills, and a major headache made me want to cry. Fortunately, as the doctor predicted I felt better in a few days.

Once I felt better, my mind went to some folks I know who are suffering from long-term illness, serious surgery, as well as unknown reasons for physical ailments. My short bout of discomfort reminded me that God wants me to show compassion. He wants me to pray for my friends, family and acquaintances. He wants me to reach out and show his love just as he did. I may not be able to physically heal someone like Jesus did, but I can bring comfort through words, cards, and hugs. Jesus wants us to reach out to the people who are hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment