For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Lay Up Treasures

I Timothy 6:17-19
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Yesterday, two of my daughters came to help me with my yard sale. I don't particularly enjoy having yard sales, but we had things to get rid of and I had a specific need for the money I might make. During the course of the day, we discussed America's obsession with money and the pros and cons of our economic system.

As we talked, I tried to put into words what disturbed me the most about how we tend to look at money. This verse says exactly what I was trying to put into my owns words.I need to put my hope in the Lord, not in my finances and keep my eyes focused on how God wants me to use my money and my posessions with a generous and sharing spirit. I praise God for all he gives me!

No comments:

Post a Comment