For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, July 9, 2010

Rest

Matthew 11: 28-29
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul.

A co-worker and I were talking about how stressful our week at work had been and how the four-day work week seemed longer than a five-day work week. All the work we needed to do would, in the long run, make our jobs more efficient and effective, but trying to do it all in four days made me tired by Friday. On our way out to our cars that afternoon, the two of us stopped by the art gallery in our building. A lovely display of watercolors, recycled art, paintings, quilts and other beautiful art filled the room. As we wandered through the gallery, we noticed an interactive display. A note invited us to draw on the art paper that was provided with pastel chalk. Both of us like to draw, so we did our best and created our own mini-art. We both commented that we felt so much more relaxed after a few minutes of doodling on the paper.

Another day at work when I felt weary, I took my Bible outside at lunch and just spent my lunchtime reading. God's word refreshed my soul. When life gets hectic and stressful and you feel weary and tired, what do you do? Jesus encourages us to come to him. Like me, you may go to him through reading, art, or writing. You may sit quietly at his feet or sing with all your heart. Whatever it is that you do to renew your Spirit, seek out Jesus. He wants to hug you and give you rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment