For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Great American Game

John 7:16-18
Jesus answered, “My teaching is not my own. It comes from the one who sent me.  Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.

I love baseball. The rhythm of the game helps me relax. This summer four of our grandsons are playing the great American game. My family has a long friendship with the game. Grandpa Griffith hosted baseball games at his farm in the 1920s and 30s. Mom remembers watching the men lift their bats and run the bases. One of the things I’ve witnessed watching t-ball is the little guys learning to make decisions. If they field a ball they have to figure out where to throw it (first base). If they hit the ball, where do they run? Seriously, more than a few have picked third instead of first.

Much like life, baseball is a game of choices. Every day I’m faced with decisions. What to do, how to react, what to say. But, I have an advantage when it comes to decisions. I talk to God and seek his wisdom for what I should do. Like the baseball player looks to the coach, I seek God’s wisdom. You see, I love God and I want to do his will. In all of my choices, I seek God’s wisdom and when I forget, I struggle. God gives free will, he wants me to choose. So I choose him. I Praise God for his wisdom and the freedom of being a believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment