For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, June 14, 2014

What Will You Eat or Drink?

Matthew 6:25-27
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”

My daughter, Maggie, noticed a nest of baby Robin’s in an arbor. We watched the momma bird find worms and carry them to her babies. When the momma flew to the yard, we peeked at the precious ones. The new little creatures, totally dependent on their parents, opened their beaks in anticipation. In the robin species, Mom and Dad both gather worms and berries for their hatchlings and even carry away their excrement to keep the nest clean. Just as the babies are cared for by their parents, Mom and Dad Robin are taken care of by God.

Matthew reminds me not to worry about what I wear or what I eat. God provides. As a follower of Jesus I’m assured that my heavenly Father takes care of me. Even when I think I’m without I never am. I am saddened that sometimes I spend too much time thinking about my next meal, what I’ll wear to work, or when I’ll sleep. All basic needs and all met by my Father. Why worry when God takes care of me better than I ever could. I’m blessed to have a husband who loves me and our wonderful children and grandchildren.  And if you see me you know I have plenty of food and am well clothed. This all reminds me not to worry and instead to praise God for his love and care. He is my Father and I love him.

Happy Father’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment