For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Gift of Music

Psalm 96:1-3
Sing to the
 Lord a new song;
    sing to the Lord, all the earth.
Sing to the Lord, praise his name;
    proclaim his salvation day after day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
    his marvelous deeds among all peoples.

Growing up I was surrounded by music. Mom and Dad enjoyed classic country. To this day I remember the words to way too many Johnny Cash songs. My siblings listened to everything from Chubby Checker, Patsy Cline, and The Beetles, to Dottie Rambo and Dolly Parton. I learned to appreciate many genres including the pop and folk music of the sixties and seventies. But no music touches my heart like the notes that swell to the praises of Jesus.

There are many references to music in the Bible. The rocks sang out, the mountains and trees rejoiced. David played the lyre, and the psalms encouraged singing. When no one else is with me in the car, I turn up one of the contemporary Christian channels and make a joyful noise. At church I raise my voice with other believers in Jesus, and I am in the presence of God’s glory. I am thankful for the folks who use their talent to honor God. Praise God for the gift of music and gifted musicians.  

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing like marching through the house praising God until the very rafters shake with His glory! One teacher said, "When you wash the china, pray for China. When you sweep the carpet, spread around the glory of God." i would have to add praise Him in every corner of every room! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete