For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, May 23, 2014

I Know I'm an Introvert

Luke 22:39-44
Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.”  He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Woman Sitting Alone On A Bench by George Hodan
Recently, I’ve heard a lot of talk about what it means to be an introvert as opposed to an extrovert. I used to think one definition of an introvert was someone who was painfully shy. Studies show that’s not the case. An introvert may be as outgoing as an extrovert, but will tire of the interaction with other people sooner. In some of the articles I’ve read, authors define an introvert as someone who draws energy from alone time while an extrovert gathers energy from other people. I know I’m an introvert. I value my down time at home. It helps me regenerate and prepares me to face the day.

When I read about Jesus and how he stepped away from the disciples for a bit, I wonder if he might have had some introvert tendencies. If I’d hung around with the disciples, who continuously asked questions, I would’ve stepped away too. Whether or not Jesus was introvert or extrovert, he knew the best way to refuel. He spent his time praying. He went to the Mount of Olives, found a quiet nook and poured his heart out to God. Luke tells us an angel arrived to strengthen him. There’s no better way to find energy and strength than by seeking God through prayer. Whether an introvert or extrovert, we need time with the Lord. Praise God for his listening ear and loving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment