For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, May 2, 2014

Pleased and Satisfied

Philippians 4:12-13
12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Merriam-Webster defines the adjective “content” as pleased and satisfied; not needing more. According to this, Paul learned to be pleased and satisfied. He didn’t need more. As he wrote in his letters in the Bible, he spent time in prison, months with families in the churches he visited, and worked repairing nets. I’m sure he lived through many different circumstances. And in every one he found contentment.

When I read these verses years ago, I thought I had to have a feeling of satisfaction 24/7. No matter what, I needed to find a degree of happiness. The problem was I tried to find contentment on my own. I totally missed verse thirteen. While I tried to find satisfaction on my own, God waited for me to understand what I needed was him. He’s the one who gives me strength, the one who brings me contentment no matter what. But I have to get out of my own way, bow before God and ask for his help. I’ve learned over the years to seek God first. It’s not easy, but it sure is a better way to live. I love the promises I read in the Bible, they give me the confidence to seek my Father’s help. He gives me the strength in every circumstance to be content as long as I keep my eyes on him. 

2 comments:

  1. Contentment seems to wax and wane in the turmoil of life, yet it is available for us to choose. Radical Acceptance and constant trust in God is what it takes for me to maintain contentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It can slide through my hands like grains of sand. I have to get a grip, make a choice and trust God.

      Delete