For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, August 23, 2013

Much Needed Rest

Exodus 33:14
The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

Spending two days with my active grandchildren reminds me why God intends for young adults to have children and older folks to be grandparents. I passed the milestone of fifty a few years ago and find that I require more rest than I ever have. Some days, I’d like to trade places with our dogs. They sleep more than anything else. Yet when I think I can’t go another day, God provides me with a time of rest. Sometimes in little spurts, through the help of family and friends and often through the encouraging words of the Bible.


In Exodus, God asked Moses to lead His people out of slavery in Egypt and take them to the Promised Land. The Israelites were not the most pleasant bunch. They griped and complained and no doubt got on Moses’ nerves. I know when I’m around negative people, they wear me out. But God, as He always does, kept his promise. He went with him and gave Moses some much needed rest. On the days that drag me down, I know God provides renewal. He refuels my fire and passion to serve and helps me recharge. There is nothing like reading through the Bible when it comes to restoring energy and enthusiasm. Praise God for times of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment