For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Camouflaged from the Enemy

Psalm 143:12-14
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
    for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
    for to you I entrust my life.
Rescue me from my enemies, Lord,
    for I hide myself in you.
Teach me to do your will,
    for you are my God;
may your good Spirit
    lead me on level ground.

Where I live, I often notice people dressed in camouflage. Lots of folks hunt and fish and have embraced the fabric that helps them hide from their prey. Soldiers wear colorfully blended uniforms to conceal themselves from the enemy. My friend Lori said she saw camouflage siding for a house and I spotted the same patterns on a sofa and recliner. I imagine the Duck Dynasty craze has a lot to do with the siding and furniture.

According to Dictionary.com, camouflage is the act, means, or result of obscuring things to deceive an enemy. In the Psalm, David needed to hide from the ones who chased him. He worried about people who might be after him for things he had done. But, he knew that the true enemy, Satan, was the one who pursued his heart. His only hope of rescue was the camouflage that God provided. He cried out for God to cover him. The good news is, God still calls us to take refuge and rest in his protection. I may not wear colorfully blended clothing that hides me in the forest, but I do wear the clothing of the Spirit that keeps me from the enemy. Praise God, who provides refuge for his people.

2 comments: