For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Because I Said So...

John 15:9-13
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

As a mom, I’ve been blessed with children who respected my authority and for the most part obeyed me. There were times when one or another pushed the envelope or said “but, why,” too many times. That’s when I’d get exasperated and say the quote that no child wants to hear, “Because I said so.” I know now that was probably not the best answer. Recently, I read a post where the mom’s response to the “but, why” was, “Because I love you so much.” Now that makes sense and covers the child with peace. So the next time my grandchild wonders why they need to buckle their seatbelt, stay off the road, put away their toys, I have an answer. “Because I love you so much.”

Jesus keeps his Father’s commands and he expects me to keep his. Because He loves me. Jesus wants me to be a light in darkness. He tells me not to worry. He wants me to love others. As I obey, the Holy Spirit nudges me and tells me what I need to do for the kingdom. His plan includes the fruit I produce. When I get stubborn or confused and say, “But, why?” I’m thankful that God is not the God of, “Because I said so.” Instead, He’s the God of “Because I love you so much.” Praise the Lord for His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment