For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Fan of God

Psalm 104:33-34
I will sing to the Lord all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
May my meditation be pleasing to him,
    as I rejoice in the Lord.

My co-workers and I traveled to Chicago for the American Library Conference.  As we rode along Michigan Avenue, a sea of red swayed on the bridge crossing into Grant Park. The Chicago Blackhawks hockey team won the Stanley Cup. Twenty thousand plus fans gathered to celebrate with the players. They waved flags, carried balloons and cheered. Later in the day, we saw the fans all over the city. They supported their beloved team.

On Sunday morning, I like meeting with others who love God. I join my brothers and sisters in song, listen to God’s word preached and meditate on the sacrifice Christ made for me. You could say that church brings God’s fans together to celebrate. Not just a win, but an eternal victory. I like rooting for the Cincinnati Reds as much as the Blackhawk fans enjoy cheering on the hockey team. But, I love praising God and thanking him for Jesus, even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment