For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, November 2, 2012

Light in the Storm


Matthew 5:14-16
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.
 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Many times throughout his ministry, Jesus reminded people of how they affected others. He didn’t tell us to live in a cave and stay away from the world. Instead, he encouraged his followers to care for each other and for the people they met along the way. This week Hurricane Sandy swept through the eastern states. In Ohio, we woke up to snow. The hurricane changed our weather even though we live several hundred miles away.

Life has a ripple effect. When a pebble falls into the water, the rings roll out across the pond. One person’s actions bump into the next person, until a chain reaction erupts. Jesus declared to his followers that they were the light of the world. The light shines on everyone in the house. That’s how he wants me to live. My heart needs to glow for him so that the light shines on the people around me and hopefully, that light moves out of my circle and on to others. I hope that my devotions go beyond the folks I know and touch the hearts of people I’ve never met.

Let’s pray for the folks without electricity and the ones who need Jesus’ light. I’m sure that there are many ways to help those affected by the storm. Reach out where you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment