For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, November 9, 2012

Vitamin D


John 17:1-5
After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:
“Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.  And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

A few months ago I found out that I needed more vitamin D. My muscles ached, bones hurt, I felt sad and depressed and I wanted to sleep more than usual. When I finally made an appointment with the doctor, she took blood tests and found out that my vitamin D number was very low. I had no idea that the lack of a vitamin could make me so miserable. The doctor explained that vitamin D comes through exposure to the sun, certain fortified foods and supplements. Since I work at a computer all day, I don’t have many opportunities to bask in the sun. So she subscribed a dose of the vitamin. I feel a lot better.

As much as I need the sun to live a healthy physical life, God’s Son, is essential to my spiritual life. Without Jesus I grow weak in my resistance to sin, become grumpy and uncaring and think too much about myself. Just like vitamin D, I need to supplement my spiritual diet with Bible reading, devotions, prayer, and the words of other believers. I’m also uplifted by inspirational fiction and God’s beautiful creation.  Praise God for his son, my savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment