For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, November 23, 2012

His Light Shines in our Hearts


2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts
 to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.

Lying on the floor, elbows bent with my head propped up on my hands; I watched the color wheel reflect light on my Aunt Rosetta’s aluminum Christmas tree. In the 1960s the shiny metal tree made a big splash during the holidays. As the wheel rotated, the color on the tree changed. Red, green, blue and yellow lit up the branches. I told my husband how much I enjoyed the tinsel tree and a few years ago he surprised me with one. My silver tree came with lights attached. Every year when I set it up, I think about my aunt and the joy that we shared from that beautiful light.

Throughout the Bible, the writers refer to God’s light. He created light, so that the world wouldn’t remain in darkness. The scripture reflects the light of knowledge, the light that gives life. John reminds us that Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” During the Christmas season I enjoy all the lights hung in celebration of the light of the world. Each one reminds me that Jesus came to earth and gave his life for me. Praise God for sending the light of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment