For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hurry!


Acts 1:6-8
Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”He said to them:
 “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

Hurry, hurry, hurry. On weekday mornings traveling on state route 32 drives me crazy. Are people really that anxious to get to work, or have they forgotten to give themselves enough time? Throughout the day, I have to clock in and out, meet deadlines, and accomplish goals on time. Even when I’m not at work, I am programmed to finish this, complete that, or plan something else. I am always aware of the time.

So were the disciples. They wanted to know when Jesus would return to them and restore the kingdom. Not so fast, he told them. You don’t need to know that. Just trust me. Instead of giving them a timeline, he sent the Holy Spirit to work through them as they showed Jesus to the world. As his followers, we can also depend on the Holy Spirit to guide. I find that I need to slow down and take the time to listen to the Spirit. The days I stop and pray and listen, I accomplish more for the kingdom, than the days I just fly through in a hurry. Trust Jesus to lead through his Spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment