For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Feed My Sheep


John 21:15-17
When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.”

Most people have a desire to accomplish something in life. Perhaps a family, career, education, artistic pursuits, other people, or service projects keep us engaged in life. For most of my life, I’ve wondered what Jesus wanted me to do. He’s led me to work in libraries, care for my family, and given me opportunities to pursue artistic endeavors. That’s all well and good, but not enough. You see, I love Jesus and I want to serve him in all that I do.

Whatever I choose to do, and whichever avenue Jesus guides me down involves people. Whether at work, at home, or in the marketplace I need to minister to his sheep. Peter did not understand what Jesus wanted him to do; he thought loving his Savior was enough. When Jesus asked him to feed his sheep, he wanted him to take care of people, to minister to them, to bring them to him. Feed them, physically and spiritually, take care of their needs, physically and spiritually. It’s not enough to just follow Jesus or to just say I love him. He wants me to give my love for him to others. “Do you love me?” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.”

No comments:

Post a Comment