For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Compassion is not for Wimps

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Until my knee heals, I am not allowed to walk for long distances. So a recent Saturday evening trip to Kroger included riding around in one of their carts, with the handy basket. The first thing I did in the cart was back up instead of drive forward (it figures). Once I got my bearings straight, I zipped around in this handy dandy mobile. As I cruised the aisles, I noticed that most people were either annoyed that I was in the way or just didn’t see me. I wondered if I was wearing an invisibility cloak. Many shoppers dashed around me, a few cut me off in the aisle and only one person asked if I needed help. I didn’t expect to be waited on, but I thought the general population might be respectful. Then I wondered, do I pay attention to the people around me when I’m shopping or do I just plow through and try to finish? Am I watching to see if someone needs my help, or am I too busy looking for a bargain?

As a child of God, I should be watching out for other people.  The Bible reminds me that God is a God of compassion and that Jesus showed compassion to the folks who surrounded him. The least I can do is give grace and consideration to the people I see each day. This week I plan to see with eyes of kindness and show a caring spirit whether I am chair bound or not. Praise God for the love and compassion he pours on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment