For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, March 11, 2011

Shine Like Stars

Philippians 2:14-16
Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. -Paul

As I sit here in my recliner, I hear the steady rain on our roof and think how thankful I am that I have a roof and warm home. I am off work with a virus and none too happy about it. But this will pass and I will wake up in a few days feeling fine. Again I am fortunate.  I hear the hum of the electricity running through my house like a river flowing through a valley. I am blessed. The food in the refrigerator will feed us for several days, my clothes are clean, and I have hot water and tea bags.  Yet before the day is over, I will complain about something. More out of habit that ungratefulness.

I often return to one of my favorite verses to remind myself not to complain or grumble. When I am disgruntled, my dissatisfaction begins to sound like the nails on a chalkboard and no one enjoys that noise; especially God, who has blessed me with all that I have. All things come from him and I need to make a conscious effort to be grateful and to share my wealth on this earth. I may not be wealthy by American standards but I am more than blessed by heavenly standards and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment