For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Thursday, October 21, 2010

What Kind of Shoe are You?

Ephesians 6:13-15

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

My family tells me that when I attended Kindergarten, I insisted on wearing my cowgirl boots every day. Mom let me wear them because I was terribly shy and the boots kept me from crying each day on the way to school. I’m sure the clickety-clicking sound they made on the linoleum floor drove the teacher crazy. But I loved my boots; they brought me comfort and familiarity like an old friend.

I hope that I am like an old worn shoe to my friends and family, a shoe that soothes and comforts instead of like a high heel with a narrow toe that pinches and throws the wearer off balance. Or I could be like a boot, the kind with the warm shearling lining that offers protection and gives stability, or a pair of flip flops that show all of me so my friends can see my heart. No matter what footwear I put on, God wants my feet to carry his peace to my friends, family and acquaintances. A peace that only comes from knowing Christ as my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment