For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Brittle and Brown

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 says:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

As I drove to a workshop in Kentucky this morning, I looked up at the tree covered hills and expected to see an array of autumn color. But instead of scarlet red, bright orange and golden yellow I saw tree limbs covered with brown dry leaves. I am thinking that the lack of rain in our area probably caused the premature aging of the leaves and left us without the beautiful bright colors.

Unfortunately, our spiritual lives can look just like those leaves, brittle and fragile from a lack of soul-feeding nourishment. When I don’t read the Bible, pray, or spend time with encouraging family and friends, I find my spirit drying up. But, when I dig into God’s word and talk to him, I know my soul is renewed because hope and joy bubble to the top. When my soul is renewed, God’s hope shines through. Praise God for his promise of eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment