For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, October 1, 2010

Eat Your Fruits & Veggies

John 15:8-9 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

My doctor tells me to eat more fruits and vegetables. I admit that I do better with the fruit food group. My favorites include blueberries, bananas and oranges. When I shop for them, I look for freshness. I check the bottom of the blueberry container to make sure there are no smooshed berries, I search for bananas that have no bruises and are not overripe and I look for good color and freshness in the oranges. If I need to eat fruit to be healthy, I want what is fresh and good for me.

In John 15, Jesus encourages the disciples to produce good fruit; he reminds them that the fruit they bear reflects God’s glory. Jesus means this for me too. I keep a wall hanging above my kitchen stove that lists the fruit of the Spirit. Each time I read that list, I am reminded of who others should see when they look at me. Just like the physical fruit that keeps me healthy, the spiritual fruit keeps me humble and seeking Jesus. Praise God for his love and grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment