For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Light the Lamp

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light for my path.

Several years ago, Tim and I visited the caves in Carter County, Kentucky. I remember going in the caves and feeling the coolness compared to the summer temperatures outside. Moving in and out of the shallow caves was fun, but when we climbed down into one that laced through the rock and led to darkness, my enthusiasm waivered. My feet lost their sense of place because my eyes could not lead them. We crawled through a space that made me want to run screaming, except I couldn’t stand up let alone run. I needed light for my safety and security.

Sometimes in life, I feel like I’m in that dark cave again with no light to lead my path. When that darkness comes I struggle because I cannot focus my eyes on God. Opening the Bible and reading what the people of God lived through and searching for words of encouragement and guidance illuminates my life path. They are the lamp that lights my way. Praise God for his words.

No comments:

Post a Comment