For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, August 13, 2010

Psalm 46:10
“Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

John 14:26
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

A few days ago, I heard thunder rumble through the library where I work. The sound echoed as the rain splattered on the skylights. I was working on a document and as I went along, I saved it every few minutes. As I expected, the lights flashed and the electric went off. The library was so quiet. With no computers or fluorescent lights humming, no printer swooshing out papers and no air filters roaring, only the sound of the rain and distant voices penetrated the air. Too soon everything revved back up and the “white” noise blocked the pure sound of God’s rain tangoing on the roof. For a brief moment, my mind had relaxed.

Sometimes my spiritual life is full of white noise, too. I pray and get interrupted by random thoughts. I read my Bible and my mind wanders. I study a passage and I am besieged by someone else’s opinion. Why can’t I just turn off the confusion and focus on what the Holy Spirit is trying to show me? Through him God directs my path, so I need to listen to his murmurings and follow his guidance. Today I pray for discernment as I ask the Spirit to lead me, so that I may know the plans God has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment