For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, February 5, 2010

Left Behind

Luke 8:5-8
“A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. Some fell on rock, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown."

When I arrived home Thursday evening after work, I found a curling iron hanging on the knob of the outside door. I was pretty sure that my daughter, Hannah, left it behind. Puzzled by this, I called her and sure enough it had been sticking out of her backpack and caught the door handle; doomed to spend the rest of the day hanging in the cold. Hannah did not realize she left it behind.

This reminds me of the breadcrumbs that Hansel and Gretel left behind to help them find their way home. Then I started wondering, what do I leave behind every day? What remnant of my life drops behind me as I walk away? Do I leave a path of crumbs just to feed the birds or do I leave the seeds of God that grow a pathway to Christ? I pray that I am yielding a road paved with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (The Fruit of the Spirit, Gal.5:21-23).

No comments:

Post a Comment