For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, February 12, 2010

Encouragment for the Heart

May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts … -2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

As a kid, I loved Valentine’s Day, not so much because of the lovey-dovey stuff or the silly cards we shared. But, because I got to make an awesome Valentine card box every year and decorate it any way I wanted. Those frilly, lace, paper hearts always found their way onto my creation (I think mom snuck them in) and my fingers matched the red and pink crepe paper that I glued all over the box with Elmer’s.

In sixth grade our teacher held a contest for the most creative Valentine box. With some help, I crafted a covered wagon to cart my cards around. Two of the boys in the class built a very cool robot box. Along with the other top winners, I ate lunch with the teacher and went to a movie. Mrs. Campbell allowed us to use our talents and imagination, and she rewarded us for our efforts. I have never forgotten her encouragement.

God encourages me each day. Through his word, the Holy Spirit and other people, God shows me hope and joy. I love that he knows me inside and out and sees my potential, as I strive to serve him with a grateful heart.

1 comment:

  1. Just last week I was recollecting this same thing. What fun it was to make those pretty boxes and then open them to read each little card.

    What joy God gives us each day as we open His book and read His love letters to us. Thanks for sharing your memories and also for linking my blog. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete