For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Freedom of a child

Today at my mom and dad's I watched my granddaughter and great-nephew (both 3 year olds) play. How delightful to watch two children who see each other 3 or 4 times a year, fall into their budding friendship as they shared books (sort of), switched seats (one wanted the little chair, the other the fancy stool), and ran like mad through the house. Their joy illuminated the room.

I couldn't help but think how great it would be to have the childlike freedom to enjoy my day and not worry about deadlines, a messy house, laundry, or even waking up on time. The little ones knew we watched over them. They understood their boundaries and played within them with great satisfaction. Sometimes my personal expectations, and desire to accomplish more than I need to get in the way of really enjoying life, my relationship with God, family and friends. I think I'll take my cue from the kids and check my boundaries, then relax and enjoy the rest of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment