For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, February 20, 2009

Brothers & Sisters

Matthew 12: 46-50
46While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you."
48He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" 49Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. 50For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Today my daughter, Maggie, and I were talking about what it would be like to be a sibling of Jesus. Mary and Joseph added to their family after Jesus birth. I don't know how many brothers or sisters he had, but the Bible tells us they existed.

Can you imagine trying to live up to Jesus as an older brother? But then, we do don't we. Jesus is our brother. What an amazing path he walked before us! He loved us enough to die for us and cover us with his grace. He doesn't expect us to be perfect like he was, he just wants us to accept him and love him.

Praise the Lord for his mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment