For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, January 9, 2009

His Word

Psalm 119: 89-90
89 Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures.

This quarter I signed up for a class (at U.C. Clermont where I work). I'm taking New Testament Literature. The teacher sort of talked me into it because she knows I enjoy literature and writing. I took it because I want to refresh my memory on the history and culture of the Bible.

So far I've learned that I've forgotten most of what I knew about how the Bible came to print. When I read my Bible and study and pray, I seldom consider how the people of Jesus time lived or what they had to do to record what we now know as Holy scripture. I thank God for those he trusted to write down his truths and I praise God for his eternal word.

We are blessed to have access to a Bible anytime we want. I wonder if I would want to read it more if I were not allowed. Just something to think about...

1 comment:

  1. mom, that part about would we read the bible more if we were not allowed really spoke to me. i liked your insight. sara

    ReplyDelete