For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Kindness: In Uniform

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. 

Because I love snow and Christmas, Tim surprised me with a day-trip to Marblehead Lighthouse State Park. After four+ hours on the road and a quick stop in Gibsonburg to pick up my favorite doughnuts, we pulled into the almost empty parking lot. Snow covered the ground and before us stood Marblehead lighthouse decked out in garland and greenery. The moment I stepped out of the car a sense of peace washed over me. Calm swept across my being. I don't find many places on this earth where I fall into a totally relaxed state. But on that small peninsula surrounded by rocks, water, and this time of year—snow, my soul felt a sense of awe and wonder. We wandered around donned in Santa hats for an hour or so. What a wonderful gift for the season.

But that's not the whole story. As we explored on the rocks and snapped photos of the beauty that surrounded us, another car pulled in. Two young police officers climbed out and wandered toward us. They appeared to be checking on the park as they walked out to the rock we stood on. At first they chatted, asked us where we were from and what we we're doing. I'll admit, I got a little nervous. I thought maybe we shouldn't be in the park. As the conversation continued, they complimented us on our holiday hats. Then they did something so sweet. One officer reached in his pocket and pulled out a gift card. "We're doing 'Gifts from Cops'," he said. He handed me a Target gift card. Kindness in uniform. Not only had the trip made my day. Their kind gesture pushed the joy meter to the top. Policemen work on the holidays, they protect us, and watch out for us. And they take the time to be kind. I gave the young man a hug and snapped a photo of them with Tim. I pray those two young men have a blessed holiday.

I hope you have the opportunity to share Jesus' love and kindness with everyone you meet. Merry Christmas!

Galatians 5:22-23But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

No comments:

Post a Comment