For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Joy: Go Tell it on the Mountain

Psalm 19:8
The rules of the Lord are right.
    They give joy to our hearts.
The commands of the Lord shine brightly.
    They give light to our minds.

At church last Sunday we started singing Christmas carols. The music of the season is so beautiful. As we worshiped God one of the men lifted the rich timbre of his voice to lead us in "Go Tell it on the Mountain." Pure joy came from this singers lungs. The melody floated out over the congregation as the words of the old hymn resonated through the sanctuary. At that moment I felt the pure joy of knowing my Savior came to earth for you and me. 

Joy isn't something momentary. This deep satisfaction, contentment, encouragement, and peace are not brought on by the temporary. Pure joy is knowing no matter what, Jesus loves me. My littlest granddaughter picked up a tiny Bible from my bookshelf yesterday and started singing "Jesus loves me this I know." Pure joy bubbled in my heart. This a joy only found in Jesus. I pray everyone finds that joy this holiday season. Praise God for sending his son.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 

No comments:

Post a Comment