For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, November 14, 2014

Sing Out!

Colossians 3:15-17
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

I’m not a musician but I love music. The worship music at church, songs I hear on the radio, and thanks to 93.9 Christmas music. Yes I’ve been listening to “O Holy Night,” “Away in a Manger,” and the instrumental music from A Charlie Brown Christmas. Plus lots of contemporary carols. Maybe I’m a little early, but it renews my spirit of thanksgiving and joy.

I like that the folks at the church in Colossians taught through music. Psalms, hymns and songs were filled with wisdom and shared among the people. Their voices lifted in praise. Some of my favorite hymns remind me how much Jesus loves me and how he died for me. I don’t know many Thanksgiving songs, but I know several that express thanks to the Lord. Psalm 100:4 paints a beautiful picture of rejoicing in the Lord. “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise give thanks to him and praise his name.” I picture a group of people dancing and singing and praising the King of Kings. This Thanksgiving, find the song in your heart and praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment