For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Peace

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.

Disruption, arguments, or an unsettled atmosphere causes stress. Stress brings an unsettled feeling that steals peace. By nature, I’m a peacemaker. But then Satan’s temptation wiggles in and gets me to snipe at somebody. Afterwards, I feel terrible. The peacefulness I had is obliterated.

I prefer to live by my life verse: “…and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life. You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.” (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12) This doesn’t mean I ignore people and hole up, but that 
I spend time being productive, caring and doing God’s work. Then I live a peace filled existence, instead of a stressful, chaotic life.

God wants me to seek peace. I’m talking about inward tranquility, the calm that Jesus gives as I trust him. When I’m at peace with the life God gave me, the same serenity flows through my days and onto whatever I’m doing and whoever I’m with. His peace passes all understanding, and I’m thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment