For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Love With Actions

1 John 3:16-18
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

I will never forget my aunt Peggy showing up at my front door with two bags of groceries. I was a single parent with three little girls to feed on a fixed income. We did okay, but some weeks the food budget shrunk because one of the girls needed something. This particular week was one of those where I’d tried to stretch the budget, but it didn’t quite make it. Bless her heart, without knowing what I needed Aunt Peggy brought exactly what I would have purchased. God knew what we needed, placed it on her heart, and she delivered.

God also knew what we needed as his people. Jesus came to live as a human so he could teach and in the end save us from ourselves. After Adam and Eve opened the doors to destructive behavior, God implemented his action plan and sent his precious son to live among the people. Jesus sacrifice allowed us to be saved from the sins of the world and to be delivered to heaven. I praise God for people who see the needs of others and live their life serving and giving. Even more, I praise God for his plan of redemption. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to meet Jesus in heaven. It will be a glorious day.


Share a story about someone reaching out to you when you needed help.

No comments:

Post a Comment