For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, October 19, 2012

Rest for the Weary


Matthew 11:28-29
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Last week I cleaned out my small flower bed. The zinnias that bloomed glorious colors from June through October drooped toward the ground. The peony’s leaves turned brown, and the euonymus bush needed a facelift. I cut away the dead foliage and tossed the frost bitten leaves into a box for disposal. When I finished, the bed looked empty and kind of sad.

In God’s wisdom, the change of seasons allows the soil to rest through the winter. But, he didn’t just consider the flowers and soil when he created a quiet time to slow down. After he brought the world into being, painted the sky, petted the animals and breathed life into man, he rested. The seventh day, he put down his tool box and took a break. When I am weary and need a respite, I fall into his loving arms, seeking calm and peace. Praise God for taking my burdens and offering me rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment