For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Kindness in the face of Belligerence

Titus 3:4-7
But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared,
 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

The lady giving away samples of Christmas flavored coffees smiled and tried to explain to the belligerent customer that the cups only held a few ounces because they were samples. He continued to throw harsh words at her. Yet, she remained kind and patient. Tim and I tried to help her out, but the man demanded more coffee and upped his irritation. He continued to harass the gentle woman. No matter what the man said through the entire interaction the woman remained kind.

The Christmas season often adds extra stress to my life. The stress may not be a bad stress, but certainly adds to my to-do list. I enjoy giving, decorating and watching the Christmas programs, but I also find myself tired, short-tempered and impatient when I am too busy. Yet, God asks me to show kindness to everyone in my path. Watching the coffee lady reminded me that no matter what, I need to show God’s kindness so that folks see God’s mercy and grace.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

No comments:

Post a Comment