For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Gentle Spirit

1 Peter 3:15-16
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 
keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

Proverbs 15:1
A 
gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Our two year old grandson watched as relatives passed out colorful packages. With wonder-filled eyes he took in the red, green and blues of the ripped off wrappers that littered the floor around his sibling’s gifts. His teenage sister saw that he needed help with his package, so she sat with him, and together they pulled off the wrapping paper. Once the gift sat before them, she showed him what he received and helped him take it from the box. With a gentle spirit Vanessa helped Max with his gift. She didn’t hurry him, she guided him.

God requires a gentle spirit from his followers. When I see someone in need, I want to approach them with a quiet, helpful attitude, rather than “let me show you how” because I know more than you. I have a good friend who shows her gentle spirit and I’m not even sure she knows it. Anytime I have needed guidance, she speaks to me with kindness and love. I appreciate her gentle reminder that God cares about me. This new year I pray that my gentle spirit shows as I serve others. 


Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

No comments:

Post a Comment