For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Fruit of the Spirit

Galatians 5: 22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Bananas taste good, they look pretty in a bowl, and they fill me with nutrients. I’d rather eat a banana than an apple.  Oranges drip down my chin when I eat them, but I enjoy their citrusy sweetness. I’d rather eat an orange than a grapefruit. Blueberries, the perfect fruit, add sweetness to my cereal and give me antioxidants to fight off disease. I’d rather eat a blueberry than a strawberry.

God created many different fruits for me to eat and he doesn’t care which ones I choose. But, He does care which fruit I nurture in my own life. As a follower of Jesus I am called to produce the fruit from Galatians 5. There are not fruit “s” of the Spirit only fruit. I am not called to choose the ones I like; God wants my life to yield them all. As we head into the holiday season, I will be looking at the fruit of the Spirit and how I can weave them into my life and bless others. I hope that they will bless you as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment