For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, November 12, 2011

All You Need is Love

Romans 12: 9-10
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.

My mom shared with me this week that my grandson, Zeke, told her “I love you, Ma” in his sweet little toddler voice. Her heart was blessed. Every day when I come home from work, my dogs greet me at the door with their rendition of love, jumping and barking and practically knocking me down. My husband showers love on me and we share our love with our children. God calls us to love, not just those who are easy to love, but all people.   

Jesus tells his disciples, in John 13, to “Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (I love quoting Jesus) He knew that when he went to heaven he needed to leave his followers with a direct command. Those words are for us, too. Jesus wants us to love each other and to show that love by listening, showing compassion, meeting needs and sharing Jesus. Loving others is not always easy, but God gives us the tools we need and if we tap into his tool box, the Bible, we can love.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 

No comments:

Post a Comment