For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Which Pooh Are You?

1 John 4:17-19
This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us.


I grew up reading about the hundred acre wood before Winnie-the-Pooh turned into another Disney phenomenon. My daughters enjoyed the tales and embraced their favorite character. Tigger still sits on one of my beds for the grandchildren to enjoy.  Did you know that you can take a quiz on the Internet that tells you which Winnie-the-Pooh character you are the most like? (Maybe you don’t care.) I always claimed to be like Piglet, the baby, since I am the youngest of my family. My daughter disagrees she says I am like Kanga, the sensible mom. I appreciate her compliment and I do strive to be sensible. But sometimes on the inside I am Piglet, the little pig afraid of his own shadow.  

Praise God that his love removes the fear. Because he loves me and accepts me as I am, he guides my path and encourages me to forge ahead. When I read verses about fear, the only fear I should have is for God himself. And that fear results in an overwhelming respect for his word and an appreciation of his grace. So, when I have a Piglet like fear, I ask God to remove it and to help me walk forward. He takes my hand and leads the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment