For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, September 9, 2011

Teach them Well

Deuteronomy 4:9
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

In 1970, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young shared their parenting wisdom through the song, Teach Your Children Well. The lyrics, written during the Vietnam War, warned parents to teach children from the lessons they learned in life. I find it interesting that the Bible gives that same advice.

God created the family unit to work in sync with his plan. Parents teach children and grandchildren and children teach their children and grandchildren and the circle rolls on. As a mom I strive to show my children how God wants me to live, and I pray that I might share what I know about life with my grandchildren. God wants me to remember the lessons I’ve learned along with the wisdom I’ve gained from his word and pass that along to the next generation. Even if you do not have children, God may put a child in your path who needs your experienced voice and example. And if you are like me, as I teach a child I learn as much from them as they do me.

No comments:

Post a Comment