For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Under God's Wing

Psalm 57:1
Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me,
 
   for in you I take refuge. 
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings 
   until the disaster has passed.

Tim and I visited the MidUSA Balloon Challenge. We intended to ride in one of the tethered balloons that would take us about 100 feet off of the ground. Unfortunately, the wind kicked up from a nearby storm and the balloonists struggled to get the flying globes steady. As they filled the balloon with air, the basket tipped to the ground, first one way and then the other. Our ride was cancelled.

Watching the giant bulbous contraption shift from side to side reminded me of the daily battle I fight with Satan as he tries to turn me away from God. But, like the twisted rope that keeps the balloon from floating away, God reaches down and takes me under his wing to protect me from sin’s attack. No matter what Satan throws at me, God keeps me safe if I keep my eyes on him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment